This forum is no longer active. Please post your questions to our new community site

Forums General

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080

Subscribe to Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080 12 post(s), 6 voice(s)

I am new to WP and I am hosting my site locally with bitnami on my mac with os 10.6.4. I am using a theme and have been successful in designing my pages. However after 3 days of work I now get Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080

I cant get to my site or WP admin page.
Any help would be great…

Avatar Beltrán Rueda Administrator 3,714 post(s)

Hi,

Did you start the servers? Try the following:

1. Open a Terminal and type the following:

$ cd /Applications/wordpress-(your_version)
$ ./ctlscript.sh start

I had the same issue with Safari and this has resolved the problem. Do we have to start the servers manually every time, or is it possible to automate this process?

It is possible to automate, take a look this post https://bitnami.com/article/how-to-install-servi…

Fantastic – worked great – thanks

I am having the same problem have designed for days and now am unable to establish a connection to the server at localhost:8080 using Firefox.
I am VERY new to WP.
I am sure this is a obvious question but could you please tell me what 1. “Open a Terminal” means? How do I do that? I am guessing that I need to start the servers but don’t understand beltrans direction.

Any further explanation would really be great
thanks

Avatar carlos Administrator 144 post(s)

Hi mauradillon,

Which platform are you using Windows, Linux, Mac?

Mac OS X Version 10.6.5. I have been barely using text wrangler and trying to use bitnami . ..

Hi, I am also having this problem: I’m using mac osx 10.5.8. “Open a terminal” doesn’t sound like something one can do on a mac.

Many thanks for any help that can be provided!

Guys, a “Terminal” session is the same as the “Command” prompt in Windows – its an application in your Application folder.

You can find more info at http://wiki.bitnami.com/Native_Installers_Quick_Start_Guide#How_can_start_or_stop_the_servers.3f

Avatar carlos Administrator 144 post(s)

Hi johanna,

I answered mauradillon here
Terminal application can be found in the Utilities folder.

You can also use our control panel in OS X in case you don’t want to use the command line as it is described in the link beltran has mentioned above.

Forums General