Moodle is a very popular open source learning management solution (LMS) for the delivery of elearning courses and programs. It’s used not only by universities, but also by hundreds of corporations around the world who provide eLearning education for their employees. Moodle features a simple interface, drag-and-drop features, role-based permissions, deep reporting, many language translations, a well-documented API and more. With some of the biggest universities and organizations already using it, Moodle is ready to meet the needs of just about any size organization.
Moodle offers students and instructors a personalized dashboard listing courses and tasks, and collaborative tools including forums, wikis and group calendars. It lets you work with files stored in cloud services like Dropbox, and supports notifications and private messaging between users. It is available for multiple languages, supports open standards like Learning Tool Interoperability (LTI) and Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM), and works well with screen readers. Finally, it comes with an extensive plugins directory together with support from more than 60 worldwide partners.
Bitnami Moodle Stack
The Bitnami Moodle Stack is the quickest way to get started building e-learning content with Moodle. You can use it to run Moodle in the cloud, virtually or locally. Important benefits of the Bitnami Moodle Stack are:
- Simple: Moodle has a lot of different components, so getting started with it can sometimes be complex for new users. Our stack makes it simpler by including all dependencies (such as Apache, MySQL and PHP) so you don't need to download or configure anything to get started.
- Integrated: Everything you need to run Moodle is already configured and ready to go, so you can be productive within minutes of deploying it.
- Secure: Our Moodle stack is updated every time a new Moodle version is released, ensuring you always have the latest security and bug fixes.
- Free: Our stack is freely available under the Apache 2.0 license (individual components may have different licenses).
Moodle Cloud Hosting with Bitnami
Most likely, you'll be using Moodle to host your e-learning content on an intranet or website, so that remote users can log in and start learning. While there are numerous options for hosting your Moodle LMS, one of the simplest is to combine the Bitnami Moodle Stack with Bitnami's cloud hosting options. With this combination, your Moodle deployment is installed, configured and hosted in the cloud in just a few minutes, allowing you to focus on creating awesome e-learning content instead of worrying about administrative details.
Some of the key benefits of using Bitnami to host your Moodle LMS are:
- Backups: If you're adding new content regularly to your courses, data loss is always a worry. Bitnami provides browser-based backup tools, allowing you to take incremental snapshots of your Moodle database hourly, daily or weekly.
- Monitoring: Bitnami's Web-based monitoring tools let you keep track of your Moodle installation and optimize as needed.
- Scalability: As more users sign up to Moodle, Bitnami's Web-based control panel lets you easily add new cloud servers or upgrade existing ones to handle the increased traffic.
- Consistency: Bitnami's Moodle Stack works the same way locally and in the cloud. This allows you to create new courses offline or on a separate system, then upload the Moodle database to your cloud server with full confidence that your new courses will work perfectly.
With Bitnami, you can launch your Moodle instance in either the Amazon, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform clouds. Bitnami offers an easy-to-use Web management console for both Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure and Google users. Find out more about Bitnami Cloud Hosting for AWS, the Bitnami Launchpad for Microsoft Azure and the Bitnami Launchpad for Google Cloud Platform.
Bitnami Moodle Stack Usage
You can use the Bitnami Moodle Stack to create online courses and manage student activities. Once you've logged in to Moodle, you can:
- Build courses and add content to them.
- Create student assignments, tests and quizzes.
- View student submissions and track progress.
- Add course deadlines to the shared calendar.
- Generate reports on student participation.
- Define workflows for grading assignments and working with other instructors.
Moodle's enrollment plugins make it easy to sign up new users, and the software includes a number of administrative tools to ease course management and content creation in production scenarios.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What components are included with an installation?
See our complete and up-to-date read me document for the specific names and versions of all open source components included.
- Is it safe?
- What kind of support do you provide?
We offer a bunch of free resources for Bitnami users including:
Reviews of Bitnami Moodle Write a Review →
Moodle is a wonderful and indispensable system for distance learning.
It would be better if it integrated electronic deanery and easy tool for organizing webinars.
Moodle has a good range of features and certainly compares well with its competitors on that basis. Most of them are very easy to use. But for something so good, it can be very frustrating and nobody seems very interested in fixing its obvious shortcomings: difficult to install and upgrade, lessons feature (one of its most powerful features) is clunky and difficult, bloated and slow when lots of students are online, hard to set up groups and relate to an external student database, etc, etc.
it very Good and possible to use in classrooms. I want update moodle LMS to create moodle very usefull. ok. ok.
Excellent, I'm using the Virtual Machine version of Bitnami MOODLE since about 40 days under the free tier of AWS at no cost for 12 months, with 70 students enrolled in my courses. The response times are quite impressive, too: thanks a lot to the .Bitnami&Amazon alliance!
Moodle has many problems and schools don't know how to make a good system for their students to use which makes the experience horrible.