ownCloud is a personal productivity powerhouse. It gives you universal access to all your files, contacts, calendars and bookmarks across all of your devices. Unlike many of the shared repository services out there, with ownCloud, you have your own, private repo. However, just like the public repo companies, with ownCloud you can share your files with friends and co-workers. If you need it, ownCloud even integrates with other storage providers. Best of all, ownCloud is open source and free!
Reviews of Bitnami ownCloud Write a Review →
- Cloud Storage + RSS + Mail + Task + Calendar, which basically all I need in a package :)
- Can add multi media player too. Too heavy for my poor server though. T T
- Easy to use. :)
[Purist, OK, they need to be installed separately by in app menu. :)]
- Slo~w. Webdav based, so it really slo~w when your data is massively numbered, like, 500 000 files, compared to RSync based file transfer.
- Problem arise when you copy the data directly to server, like using FTP. T T
- Should be easy to cluster on paper. Just install separate instance in separate CPUs and point to the same database. I havent tried it. :)
This is very well packaged for Mac distribution. I have tried and works fine, given that there is official issue reported with unicode with owncloud 7. However, I could not install additional applications with bitnami owncloud. How this will be added soon.
After open the ownCloud client firstly, the wizard require input the ownClound address. At first, I input 127.0.0.1, failed. With some searching and thinking, I replaced with 127.0.0.1/owncloud, it's OK.
OwnCloud is an open source alternative to Box and DropBox. It is not as easy to use or full-featured (though Bitnami helps with the installation part!) but has the critical feature that can be implemented entirely on-premise, addressing the concerns about privacy and data ownership from larger organizations.
This is the best way to being able to run your own cloud storage. With owncloud you never have to worry if you saved the file on a USB to bring it to another computer, instead its already there since owncloud is working in the background.